Selling To Government: 3 Easy Steps to Start
After making the decision to sell to government, you’ll be confronted with a dizzying number of vendor registration websites that will require you to submit a broad range of information. This can feel like a cumbersome process. Here are 3 simple steps to make it easier.
1. Register your firm on the appropriate bidder’s lists. Here are a few options:
· New York City – Vendor Enrollment Center
· New York State – Office of General Administrative Services
· Federal Government – Central Contractor Registration
2. Use the right commodity codes to identify your product or services. Avoid using commodity codes in areas that your business does not have a core presence. This is a common mistake that plagues many firms new to government contracting. Why? You may receive solicitations that are not appropriate for your business and by not responding, you may undermine your credibility with government buyers in the long run. If you need help choosing the right commodity codes, call our Vendor Service team at 212-513-6444 or email us at Bizhelp@sbs.nyc.gov.
3. Go online to find the opportunities. If you’re contracting with the City of New York, visit the City Record to sign up for bid notices. For State contracts, visit the State Contract Reporter where you’ll find notices for opportunities above $5,000. The Federal Government has a very comprehensive website where you can search by commodity codes, location, and by certification programs.
For more information, take advantage of our selling to government class which we conduct every second Tuesday of the month. To register for classes, please visit our website.
Anne Rascon is the Deputy Commissioner of the Division of Economic and Financial Opportunity at the NYC Department of Small Business Services. In this role, she oversees the Selling to Government and Certification services of NYC Business Solutions.
If you have a question or comment for Anne, please drop her a note below. And, don’t forget to share her column on Twitter and Facebook.