Top Five Reasons to Get Recertified
We’ve made it easier to get certified as a minority or woman–owned business by placing our application online, making it easier to “fast-track” with partnering agencies in the region, and extending the certification time period to five years.
Stay certified because a lot can happen in five years, like growing your business with City contracts. Here are some reasons to get recertified.
- Online directory listing: M/WBE-certified firms are listed in our exclusive Online Directory of Certified Firms – the first place City agencies and private companies look to hire M/WBE businesses.
- Competition for contracts: Last year, more than 9,000 contracts were awarded to M/WBEs valued at $562 million. Don’t miss out on City contracting opportunities. Recertify your M/WBE status to guarantee you keep doors open to stay competitive.
- Solicitation for purchases: City agencies are directed by a local law to buy more goods and services from certified M/WBE vendors and these firms are frequently invited directly by government (and corporate buyers) to participate in exclusive trainings or information events.
- Assistance with bids and proposals: Attend any one of our free “Selling to Government” workshops or meet with a vendor service representative to learn how to bid successfully. Check the City Record Online and agency websites for current and upcoming contracting opportunities.
- Tools to help your business grow: The new Compete to Win services give you the tools to pursue larger contracts.
For information on your certification status, or to request an application, email mwbe@sbs.NYC.gov. And, you can always drop us a note below.
Anne Rascon is the Deputy Commissioner of the Division of Economic and Financial Opportunity at the NYC Department of Small Business Services. In this role, she oversees the Selling to Government and Certification services of NYC Business Solutions.
Please share Anne’s column on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.